Earth Security Group is an international consultancy providing global and local intelligence to help private sector companies to pursue innovative sustainability solutions in different markets and adapt to the challenges of climate change through a targeted alignment with governments and other stakeholders.
Through its non-profit platform, ESG actively develops private sector partnerships for climate adaptation and resilience, working at the frontlines of climate change across the world, in collaboration with governments and multilateral agencies.
The position & organisational context
Earth Security Group is positioned to grow strategically in the coming years, providing the tools and analysis for the private sector to create business initiatives to navigate the pressures of climate change and sustainability in different markets.
With a growing team of talented people and 7 years of track-record, ESG has established itself as an innovative organisation that combines high standards of strategic thinking, originality and professional delivery. The organisation is dynamic, fast-moving, and enjoys a culture of comradery and trust in its employees.
ESG has a hybrid business model: it combines projects to mobilise private sector partnerships for climate adaptation that are funded by international government agencies, with advisory consultancy projects supporting corporate clients to develop sustainable business solutions and approach external affairs in a strategic way. On the latter, ESG is moving to deepen the development of data-driven, cloud-based intelligence products. Our clients range from global companies such as Mitsubishi Corporation, Schlumberger and Chanel, to development agencies, such as the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation and the Climate Fund of the Germany Federal Ministry for Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety.
To tackle the next stage of growth, we are creating the position of Chief Operating Officer (COO) and are looking for an individual with proven operational leadership and organisational growth skills to lead ESG’s development forward. The vibrancy of ESG’s track-record, its value proposition, and team offer an incoming COO the opportunity for an exciting and rewarding personal and professional journey.
The COO position entails the following responsibilities:
1. Operational management & growth
- Lead the day-to-day operations of ESG with a solid command of all aspects and functions of a well-functioning organisation, identifying resourcing needs and building capacities in line with the successful execution of commercial strategies across the non-profit and consulting business.
- Work closely with the CEO to shape and influence ESG’s strategic engagements and product development.
2. Financial planning & management
- Oversee the company’s financial management, setting targets appropriately, and lead the implementation of budgets on a day-to-day basis.
- Lead the development and management of the systems and controls for the running of the organisation and its projects, including financial and reporting functions.
3. Commercial strategy & implementation
- Manage the organisation’s pipeline and oversee business development including the preparation of proposals and budgets; ensuring an efficient allocation of resources across the organisation.
- Maintain effective relationships with clients and stakeholders to ensure that the organisation is providing the appropriate range and quality of services.
- Develop and lead the implementation of marketing and outreach strategies to grow ESG's external positioning and client base.
4. Human resource management
- Plan and manage an efficient and effective deployment of resources across projects and functions, ensuring smooth running of operations to high delivery standards.
- Identify resourcing needs and the best ways to meet them, and lead the recruiting efforts of the company, overseeing all aspects related to HR management.
- Create and implement appropriate performance management frameworks and incentive systems that contribute to employee and team development.
The candidate will have the following skills and qualifications:
- Strategic vision and agility: The ability to think strategically; anticipate future consequences from decisions and market trends;
- Management leadership: A proven capacity for managing and leading processes and people; a team builder with experience in organisational development; the capacity to foster a culture of excellence, accountability and performance.
- Organisation builder: Experience in leading the growth of a mid-sized company, building and managing processes that ensure efficient and effective operations, including financial management, information systems, human resources, legal and marketing.
- Commercial acumen: Operational experience in a commercial setting, overseeing the development of products and services, client acquisition processes, and having a successful track record in setting, managing and overseeing the delivery of commercial targets.
- Action oriented: Flexible and nimble in taking on new challenges; is able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available; and is not afraid to take charge of a situation.
- Solid educational background: Undergraduate degree required; an MBA or advanced business management degree or similar qualification is desired, but not a must in light of extensive experience from related work.
- A minimum of 6 years of experience in a function that demonstrates the skills needed for the position, showing a proven management track-record in leading the growth of organisations.
- Operational and strategic experience in a dynamic environment or start-up, requiring rapid problem-solving abilities and forward-thinking dynamism; an independent self-starter who will proactively take on the challenge of building the business.
- An understanding, interest and working knowledge of the sustainable development agenda, in particular relating to aspects of business leadership.
- Excellent organisational and leadership skills, with ability to influence, motivate and lead a team and scale the organisation.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Excellent English language speaking and writing skills.
How to apply
- Time and availability: This is a full-time, permanent position.
- Remuneration: Competitive
- Work permit: The applicant must already have legal permission to work in the UK indefinitely.
- Location: Central London
- Deadline: The deadline for applications is November 17th 2019.